Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Chocolate Treat #AmWriting #Cooking

Source
Hello All, 

I'm gearing up for my March releases and wanted to share with you a naughty dish I like to treat myself to when I'm stressed, craving sweets and just plain frazzled. And the best thing about it is that it's dairy free and low fat. Yup crazy I know.

About a year ago I was introduced this amazing thing call a MUG CAKE. A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like, a cake inside a coffee mug. If you Google the term "mug cake" you'll find all sorts of recipes. I love making these cakes because they are super quick and easy.

The one I have listed below has been modified from a variety of sources. I've removed the need for eggs and dairy from mine because it just makes things easier, especially if I haven't gone grocery shopping in a while. It also helps to cut down on any extra calories. 

Give this gooey treat a shot. It takes less than five minutes to prepare and less the 2 to bake.  Which means in less that ten minutes I get to satisfy a craving and get back to my desk and start working. 




CHOCOLATE-BANANA MUG CAKE RECIPE:


Ingredients
4 Tablespoons flour (all purpose)
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar OR light agave nectar
2 Tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
1/2 a banana
2 teaspoons of semi-sweet chocolate morsels (optional)
4 1/2 Tablespoons water OR almond milk (or other milk of choice)

Directions

1.) Spray the inside of a large microwave safe mug, with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2.) Add all the ingredients (liquid first) into a small blender and mix until smooth. Batter will be slightly thick.
3.) Pour batter into already prepared mug.
4.) Optional Step: Take one tablespoon of chocolate chips and sprinkle over the top of the mixture. The mix is dense, so using the back of a spoon press them down slightly so that the are just below the surface of the batter. The purpose here is to create a gooey stream of chocolate as the cake cooks.
5.) Place in microwave and cook on high for 1 minute and 40 seconds, uncovered. Stare intently as the mug turns and the smell of chocolate fills the air. *Be careful not to slip on your own drool.*


6.) Remove from microwave and check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. 
7.) Let sit for 10 seconds then garnish with whatever floats your boat. *I prefer strawberries and powdered sugar
WARNING: Be sure not to over cook! Each microwave cooks differently, so adjust time accordingly! The first time I cooked this I started off with 90 seconds then added on in 10-15 second increments until I reached the sweet spot for my microwave.

In the end you have a really delicious treat that you don't have to feel too guilty for. Plus it always gives me a great jolt of energy to pound away at my keyboard. 




I have a sweet spot for chocolate, but have been known to jump ship for a delicious bread pudding. What are your guilty culinary pleasures? 


1 comment: