Thursday, November 14, 2013

Books a Romance Writer Can't Live Without: Part 1

Good (Early) Morning Lovelies,

I'm hard at work prepping for my December releases and finishing up a current work in progress, but my creative fuel is waning and I know I'm in desperate need of a break tonight.

Before hitting the pillows, I wanted to share with you a portion of my "author library". These are books that I constantly reference and have available ALWAYS. I have both the ebook and hard copy of these bad boys so that I'm never left scratching my head in confusion...at least about story structure and editing.


Yes the title of this post is a bit misleading. It should read books Laurel can't live without and the picture above is really only a small portion of my "stash". However, the books I'm about to list are AWESOME. Just trust me on this. If you're new to fiction writing or a veteran in the ranks, these are great to have available. I heart them so much that I'm willing to share their awesomeness with you!

So here we go....

The title says it all. This book is my go to when my mind goes blank, and I want to describe emotions or set the proper tone for a scene. This book doesn't just give you synonyms and antonyms to emotions, it also provides actions and feelings most commonly associated with specific emotions. If you're stuck trying to show not tell, grab this book from the shelf and you'll be back typing away in no time.

Yes some of us are plotters, some of are pantsters and some are those hybrid mythical creatures know as plantsters. No matter which breed you belong to LEARN TO OUTLINE YOUR BOOK!. Do it before, during or after, but do it. Creating an outline helps you figure out holes in your plot and seeing where your story falls flat. This book helps you get that done. Read it, learn it, live it. Yes I know that sounds kind of culty, but think of it this way...If you can't create a brief sketch of your book on paper, how do you plan on providing a pitch to an agent or editor? How do you plan on writing a synopsis for submissions? Guess what? An outline makes this much easier.

I'm not going to lie. When I first purchased this book I was supremely dissapointed. I thought that it was going to be a how to manual and it wasn't. It languished on my shelves for a good year before I picked it up again. This is a classic case of absence making the heart grow fonder. This is the book you pick up when you're banging your head against your desk and questioning your sanity for venturing into the crazy world of writing. It provides you with motivation and incredibly sound advice and tips to finishing (or starting) that book. It also covers information regarding the industry and navigating it. You need this book. It will save your sanity, your friendships, your marriage. In some cases there is weight loss and a clearer complexion. Just read it.

Okay so that's the end of part one. I'll follow-up with the rest of my library tomorrow with part 2. I'll cover my favorite editing books and why EVERY writer should learn to self-edit. EVERY WRITER.

Talk to you soon,
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment