Saturday, February 19, 2011

Taking the Plunge

     So I've finally decided to take the plunge. For years I've wanted to dedicate real time to my writing. Even now, while writing this blog, I find it hard to to fully put my thoughts into words. Its not because I haven't taken time to write in the past. I've practiced all of the tricks in the Procrastinista's Handbook. I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on pretty journals and rushed home the same day convinced I was finally going to start my novel. I've gone to the bookstore and purchased countless books about how to write your first book. None of these things has ever managed to get me to actually sit down and write for more than a week at a time. If I were being completely honest with myself, I knew at the time that they wouldn't.

     Anyone can want to write, but not everyone needs to write. You can have the idea of a good book rattling around in your head for years, but unless the story and characters are pounding their way through your gut (that's right--gut not brain) demanding their moment of inked permanency, that book will never be written. Now of course this is a gross over generalization. I've read plenty of poorly written, utterly horrible books that have been written by both newcomers and established best sellers and sadly they were all published just the same. It's quite obvious that some writers don't require a visceral need to get a story down on paper. For some people any good story or book idea will do and they can get it all out with no problem. I am not one of those people. In part that is why I've chosen to start this blog.

     I've had a story rattling around my head for almost two years now. I would write some general thoughts down occasionally and even got around to writing a few full fledged chapters. I even manged to squeak out an outline for the next few chapters. However, it wasn't until recently that I actually felt the need to get the words on paper. I think it's because the story in my head is finally at a place where it's ready to be told. Although I've had the general story in my head for quite some time, it's definitely evolved since its first inception. I know that this is most likely due to things that have happened to me personally as well as books I've read and things I've seen and experienced. Whatever the reasons--I'm ready and my gut is telling me it's now or never.

     So if you have the time, join me on this journey. I'm going to try and post as often as possible. At least once a day is my goal. Share with me your stories of writing. I'm always open to tips and pointers!

Write to you Soon,
Laurel 

No comments:

Post a Comment