Sunday, August 12, 2012

Inspiration and Book Ideas

Hello Lovelies,

     I can't believe I'm saying this, but I had a moment of inspiration yesterday that I think has led to the beginnings of a new story. The moment came when I was making myself a smoothie and listening to the movie Iron Man play in the background. The moment it crept into my head I turned off the blender and rushed to jot down some notes. I learned my lesson about noting book ideas as soon as possible a while ago. More than once an idea for an amazing story has come to me, and I would foolishly tell myself that I would remember it later--this is so NOT true (at least not for me). After more than a few forgotten plot or transition ideas, I learned to always have a notebook handy.
     Anyhoo, I have a notebook full of ideas, but unfortunately I'm finicky as hell. Even though every idea I have I think is worthy of being written, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for some of the characters I've envisioned. Some of them have sad stories that I'm just not in the mood to deal with. Some of them are too happy and others just too angry. I wonder if other writers have this same problem. Do they already know the personalities and baggage of the characters they are about to write about? It sounds silly but I have to brace myself before having to rip a character's world apart.

    Regardless, it's time for me to choose my next project. I had fun with Negotiating Skills and How to Kill Your Immortal. Both projects taught me different lessons and each pushed me in ways I didn't expect. Negotiating Skills will be released this Saturday (August 18th 2012) and the full version release of How to Kill Your Immortal is still on hold (more on that later). Either way, I need to sit down soon and decide on my next project. My characters are getting restless and eventually I'm going to have to sit down and give them a voice. 

Talk to you soon, 
Laurel

 

No comments:

Post a Comment